BOURNE PUBLIC SCHOOLS
PERSONAL CARE SCHOOL NURSE
Reports to: Superintendent of Schools, Building Principal/Nurse Leader and Director of
Student and Special Education Services
Job Goal: To provide professional health care and guidance as they pertain to the total medical needs of an individual student.
1. Asses, evaluate, and monitor the specific health needs and medical condition of the assigned student(s) throughout the school day.
2. Provide daily health services and emergency care to the assigned student(s) in case of injury or sudden illness.
3. Maintain the assigned studentâ€™s medical file.
4. Obtain the appropriate medical release of information form and update studentâ€™s medical file as needed.
5. Function as the primary liaison with the studentâ€™s parent(s) and health care providers on all matters pertaining to the studentâ€™s medical condition and records.
6. Consult with and advise the studentâ€™s teachers and parent(s) on relevant health matters as they pertain to the assigned student.
7. Assist the assigned student(s) throughout the school day with regard to medical issues and provide the student(s) with academic accommodations and modifications as needed.
8. In the assigned studentâ€™s absence, assist in the Bourne Public Schoolâ€™s Health Department as assigned by the Superintendent, Director of Student and Special Education Services, Nurse Leader and/or Building Principal.
9. Monitor the studentâ€™s absenteeism with regards to health related issues and consult with parents and school officials as needed.
10. Continually pursue professional training to keep skills current, participate in in-service training programs, attend courses, etc., and attend departmental meetings.
11. Notify Nurse Leaser regarding nurseâ€™s absence.
12. Other duties as assigned by the Superintendent of Schools, Director of Student and Special Education Services, Nurse Leader, and/or Building Principal.
Â· Valid license to practice as a Registered Nurse in Massachusetts.
Â· Certification in cardio-pulmonary resuscitation.
Â· Knowledge of school health and school nursing practice.
Â· Certification by the State Department of Education as a School Nurse.
Terms of Employment: School Year
Evaluation: In accordance with the terms and condition as delineated in the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Adoption Date: 6/5/2002
Job Description - Job Descriptions