Unfortunately, juul devices have become popular among young adults. These devices are often hidden in plain sight and disguised as familiar objects. We are working with our staff to keep these devices out of our schools. Additionally, we need your vigilance at home as part of this effort. Below are quick facts about Juul devices.
What is a juul? (pronounced "jewel")
- A battery-powered vape system containing a pod pre-filled with a high volume of nicotine
- Tiny juul pods contain as much nicotine as an entire pack of cigarettes
Why is it popular among teen?
- Juuls come in a variety of flavors and smells (fruit medley, mango, cool cucumber etc.)
- These devices are very small and easy to hide, often disguised as USB drives, chargers, and writing mechanisms
- These devices do not produce a harsh oder like smoking traditional cigarettes
What is the consequence for a student caught using or in possession of an e-cigarette or Juul?
- The use of all tobacco products including vapes and juuls are stickily prohibited and against the law
- Students will receive Out-of-School Suspensions
Massachusetts, by law, raised the age to buy cigarettes to 21 as of December 31, 2018. In addition, the Bourne Board of Health approved changing the minimum age for the purchase and use of tobacco products in town from 18 to 21 as of December 28, 2018 negating any grandfather clause in the Massachusetts law.
For more information about the impact of juuls click here to view a CBS news segment.
The current generation almost wiped-out traditional cigarette use but these new devices have reestablished an impression that is unfortunate for our young adults.
Together we can address this current plight.
Steven M. Lamarche