|Bourne Leadership Academic Service Team
Bourne Leadership Academic Service Team
“If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more
and become more, you are a leader.” - John Quincy Adams
"Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth." -Mohammed Ali
Please view the PowerPoint to learn more about BLAST.
Are you new to Bourne Middle School?
If you are new to Bourne, joining our 7th or 8th grade class, and believe that you meet the academic criteria for BLAST, please see Mrs. Canterbury with a copy of your final report card from your previous school.
Be prepared for the application process:
A letter of invitation is sent to students who meet the academic criteria very early in September of their 7th and 8th grade year. BLAST membership is not solely based on grades. Students also need to demonstrate that they have participated in a leadership and service activity before the new school year begins so that they will meet the application criteria. Do you need some ideas of what to do?
Service - The key to service is to volunteer (unpaid)
- Stock shelves at the food pantry
- Call a nursing home to see if someone would like to be read to, have their nails painted or play a game of cards
- Take part in a walk to raise money for a worthy cause
- Contact an animal shelter, your place of worship, Council on Aging or the community building to see what needs to be done
Leadership - Take charge of either a group or an activity
- Gather a group of your friends and conduct a beach, school grounds or playground clean up (you get leadership experience and they get service)
- Start a neighborhood drive to help out the food pantry or an animal shelter (animal shelters are always looking for used towels and blankets)
- Become a LIT at a day camp (Leader in Training)
- Check with a local daycare to see if they would like a group reader or game leader