Central Office Resources and Information
|Bourne Public Schools
36 Sandwich Road
Bourne, MA 02532
History of the Bourne Public Schools Administration Building
The Bourne Public Schools Central Office Administration Building now located at 36 Sandwich Road, has a long history of serving the educational needs of our community. Originally constructed in 1840, it is the oldest educational building in Bourne village. Built as the Bourne Academy, it was originally located on Academy Hill on County Road. Moved to present site in 1866, it replaced an existing old school house. The building was used as a school house until the opening in 1905 of Bourne High School, which is now the former Coady School. The upper floor of the building was used as a high school and the ground floor was the elementary school. When the new high school was opened, the building became an elementary school; on the ground floor there were two grades and on the upper floor there were three grades.
In 1925, with the opening of a new elementary school across the street (originally called the Bourne Grammar School, later named the Stowell School and now the public library), this building became the General Leonard Wood American Legion Post #230. At that time, the building was moved back 50 feet from the existing road. In the late 1930’s the building became the town’s Archives Building and Senior Citizen Activity Center. Later, during World War II in 1942-1945, the building became the ration board headquarters. In the 1970’s it was used for the overflow of students at Peebles School. It was in 1979 that the building became the School Administration Building to serve as the hub for district financial, human resources, special education and curriculum for the students of Bourne.