BOURNE PUBLIC SCHOOLS
Reports to: Head Custodian or Building Principal
Job Goal: To provide staff and students with a safe, attractive, comfortable, clean, and
efficient environment in which the school systemâ€™s goals and responsibilities for education may be achieved
Essential Duties and Performance Responsibilities:
(Items below are by way of example and are not intended to be a complete listing of responsibilities)
1. Keeps building and premises, including sidewalks, driveways, and play areas, neat and clean at all times.
2. Regulates heating and ventilation systems to provide temperatures appropriate to the season and to ensure economical usage of fuel, water and electricity.
3. Shovels and sands walks and steps as appropriate.
4. Checks daily to ensure that all exit doors are open and all panic bolts are working properly during the hours of building occupancy.
5. Sweeps classrooms daily and dusts furniture.
6. Cleans corridors after school each day and during the day when their condition requires it.
7. Washes and disinfects toilet floors daily and cleans all sanitary fixtures and drinking fountains daily.
8. Washes all windows, inside and out, at least twice a year and more frequently if necessary.
9. Keeps all floors in a clean and attractive condition and in a good state of preservation.
10. Removes and store trash on a daily basis.
11. Makes such minor building repairs as he/she in capable of.
12. Reports major repairs needed promptly to the Head Custodian or Building Principal.
13. Reports immediately to the Head Custodian or Building Principal any damage to school property.
14. Assumes responsibility for the opening and/or closing of the building each school day and for determining, before leaving, that all doors and windows are secured, and all lights, except those left on for safety reasons, are turned off.
15. Keeps an inventory of supplies, equipment, and fuel on hand and requisitions such needed replacements from the principal far enough in advance so that they may be delivered in such time as will not hinder the custodian in his/her duties.
16. Conducts an ongoing program of general maintenance, upkeep, and repair.
17. Moves furniture and/or equipment and generally assists within the building as required for various activities and as directed by the Head Custodian or Principal.
18. Conducts regular inspections of all electrical installation in the school to ensure their safe condition.
19. Assumes responsibility for the cleaning of all non-classroom areas such as, but not limited to, offices, gymnasium, locker rooms, library, health room, cafeteria, and faculty rooms.
20. Receives and stores all deliveries made to the building.
21. Replaces burned out fluorescent tubes and incandescent bulbs.
22. Participates in in-service programs designed for custodial personnel.
23. Performs other duties as may, from time to time, be assigned by the Head Custodian, Building Principal, or Director of Business Services.
Knowledge of Equipment and Operation. Must be able to comprehend and follow verbal and written instruction as appropriate to custodial activities. Relevant experience as a school custodian, or the equivalent in custodial service in other institutions.
Possession of a valid Massachusetts Driverâ€™s License.
Â· The position requires moderate physical effort. The position requires the delivery of a full range of custodial services to the public. Several hours a day will be spent walking, standing, sitting or climbing whenever necessary. Crawling may also be occasionally required. Must be able to tolerate heights. Activities include frequent physical exertion in body movement such as reaching, bending and twisting. The position also requires frequent pulling and pushing of materials. There is frequent use of hands and power tools.
Â· The position requires the lifting of objects of 40 pounds on a frequent basis and over 40 pounds occasionally.
Â· The position requires ability to work outside in adverse weather conditions; must be able to work in all areas under construction or renovation.
Terms of Employment: 12 month year; salary in accordance with the Collective Bargaining Agreement in effect between AFSCME and the Bourne School Committee.
Evaluation: Performance of this job will be evaluated annually by the Building Principal.
Adoption Date: 8/9/1990, Revised: 11/13/2012
Job Description - Job Descriptions