BOURNE PUBLIC SCHOOLS
GUIDANCE DEPARTMENT SECRETARY
Reports to: Principal
Job Goal: To expedite the daily workings of the guidance office, dealing with central administration, students, teachers, and parents, under the direction of the Principal/Headmaster/Guidance Counselors, in such a fashion as to provide maximum facilitation of the overall educational process
Supervises: Student Office Aides
- Serves as the registrar for Bourne High School.
- Assists with registration of all new students.
- Prepares registration materials for counselors and administration.
- Assists in orientation of incoming students.
- Requests academic records, health records, and all other pertinent information for all transfer students.
- Prepares and forwards to receiving school all transfer papers necessary for students withdrawing from Bourne High School.
- Maintains a record of all transfer materials.
- Notifies all necessary teachers and administrative personnel of these transfers.
- Records and maintains all studentsâ€™ cumulative files.
- Maintains a list of, and all information relative to tuition students.
- Serves as a receptionist for the Guidance Department.
- Types all correspondence, reports, and notices for counselors.
- Types quarterly honor roll, quarterly ineligible list, and monthly foster child report.
- Routes incoming departmental mail.
- Operates office equipment, machines, and computers.
- Coordinates flow of computer information and serves as network supervisor.
- Schedules appointments for students, parents, and counselors.
- Types and sends announcements and press releases concerning guidance activities.
- Maintains departmentâ€™s college video and catalog library and file.
- Schedules visits for students and counselors to meet with college admissions counselors and representatives.
- Assembles files and materials necessary to facilitate counselorsâ€™ correspondence.
- Facilitates work of school psychologists, adjustment counselor, and mentor tutors.
- Assists in the collection of fees for PSAT registration.
- Prepares transcripts for graduates as well as currently enrolled students.
- Prepares information on all available scholarships and college visits and disseminates the same to all seniors and school organizations.
- Prepares reports on awards and scholarships for graduation and other senior end-of-the-year activities.
- Prepares and collates Central Scholarship application for scholarship program.
- Assists at Central Scholarship Committee Review evening.
- Provides National Honor Society advisor with student information.
- Maintains files regarding studentsâ€™ class rank.
- Prepares mailing of summer school opportunities to failing students.
- Dispenses summer school information from five towns to students and parents.
- Assists counselors by recording summer school grades to transcripts.
- Assists in school opening procedures.
- Assists in planning and preparation of guidance department budget.
- Maintains and orders equipment and supplies for guidance department.
- Provides assistance to other secretaries within the building when necessary.
- Collects from teachers homework assignments for students absent from school for an extended period of time.
- Maintains SIMS reporting and correct information for such.
- Distributes grade sheets and failure forms to teachers; collects and proofreads completed forms.
- Follows up with teachers on incomplete grades and enters corrected grades into computer.
- Assists with preparation of lists, forms, etc. for MCAS and Stanford 9 testing.
- Assigns homeroom for entering grade 9 and new students.
- Maintains records of 900+ locker numbers and combinations and assigns to entering grade 9 and new students.
- Prepares updated Program of Studies biannually.
- Prepares updated profile annually.
- Prepares updated course selection forms annually.
- Participates in schoolâ€™s Crisis Team.
- Prepares forms and collates completed information for student placement recommendations.
- Responsible for importing of student grades and printing of student report cards.
- Maintain professional confidentiality in all matters.
- Answer phone and greet people in a friendly and courteous manner.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Principal or supervisors.
- Successful completion of high school
- Completion of business schools/college courses desirable.
- Experience with secretarial work desirable.
- Facility with word processing and general computer usage desirable.
Evaluation: Performance will be evaluated annually by the Principal and/or designee.
Adoption Date: 1/1/1901
Job Description - Job Descriptions