BOURNE PUBLIC SCHOOLS
LICENSED PRACTICAL NURSE/SCHOOL HEALTH ASSISTANT
Reports to: School Nurses, School Principal, and Director of Student
and Special Education Services
Job Goals: To provide for the immediate needs of the students and to work with the school nurses to see that first aid is provided when necessary, and to see that health records are kept.
1. Provide basic coverage; e.g. first aid.
2. Dispensing of prescription medicines, under supervision of the nurse.
3. Maintain health records.
4. Practice clinical skills and duties as specified by the nurse.
5. Participate in health screening; e.g. vision, hearing.
6. Keep attendance records.
7. Accompany student to hospital, if necessary.
8. Maintain health rooms.
9. Assist in personal cleanup of children.
10. Other duties as assigned by the nurse and/or principal.
Â· High school graduate
Â· Certification as a Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN).
Â· Completion of American Red Cross course in First Aid.
Â· Certification in CPR.
Â· Maintain Red Cross Certification.
Â· Interest in and an understanding of children.
Â· Respect for confidentiality of information.
Â· Ability to accept and utilize nursing supervision and consultation.
Â· Some typing skill and clerical proficiency.
The school nurses (in consultation with the building principal) will annually, no later than May 1, do an evaluation of the School Health Assistant and submit it to the Director of Student and Special Education Services.
Adoption Date: 8/5/1998
Job Description - Job Descriptions