BOURNE PUBLIC SCHOOLS
LITERACY COACH K â€“ 4
Reports to: Building Principal (directly)
Title I Director (indirectly)
Job Goal: To interact with elementary teachers in the schools in Bourne to increase their knowledge of reading and writing and to assist them in finding ways to teach reading and writing creatively, comprehensively, and successfully.
1. Coordinate all assessment testing.
2. Test all new students for evaluation in literacy and share results with principal and classroom teacher.
3. Work with staff to understand, analyze, and used data to improve instruction and to write instructional goals based on data.
4. Guide individual teachers to assess and support their literacy teaching; provide help and support using district-adopted programs including but not limited to Project Read, Bradley, Guided Reading, and phonemic awareness activities; act as a resource for all staff for all literacy activities in the classroom including setting up and maintaining literacy centers; strategies in Guided Reading, Running Records; interactive writing; content area reading; MCAS preparation; etc.
5. Teach model lessons and model exemplary teaching strategies and be available for peer coaching.
6. Provide instructional services for 50% of time.
7. Stay current in all literacy research.
8. Provide informational workshops to teachers and/or parents, based on needs assessments.
9. Lead study or focus groups as appropriate or necessary.
10. Participate in Building Based Support Teams and provide short term intervention when team deems it necessary.
11. Follow federal Title I guidelines.
12. Order leveled books and maintain literacy center.
13. Coordinate writing prompt material and facilitate scoring by staff.
14. Perform duties as required by building principal.
- Massachusetts Certification as a reading specialist OR Masters in Education with a concentration/specialization in reading.
Evaluation: Performance will be evaluated annually by the Building Principal.
Adoption Date: 6/7/2007
Job Description - Job Descriptions