BOURNE PUBLIC SCHOOLS
Reports to: Superintendent/Assistant Superintendent
Job Goal: Designing, configuring, installing, maintaining, and repairing network systems, subsystems and servers; overseeing the MDF/IDF server room operation and environment; providing information, direction and/or recommendations regarding network installations and configurations; resolving network operational issues; and providing technical support to school system staff. Will maintain employee email, user account and access accounts and performs other related duties as assigned.
1. Administers systems and servers related to district LAN and WAN (e.g. email systems, accounts, print queue, workstation ID, IP assignments, computer labs, classroom computers, VOIP, security, antivirus, spyware, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring availability of services to authorized users.
2. Designs computer networks (e.g. internet, intranet, web mail, FTP servers, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring effective and efficient operating systems.
3. Installs network (client and server) software on a variety of platforms (e.g. service packs, application software, operating software, hardware upgrades, etc.) for the purpose of upgrading and maintaining BPS WAN/LAN and telecommunications systems.
4. Maintains confidentiality relative to employee, student, and parent records and procedures according to legal and system guidelines for the purpose of following all applicable School Committee policies, state, federal and local laws.
5. Maintains network operations and software applications (e.g. servers, file, print, application, WEB, database, proxy, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring efficient operations.
6. Manages assigned projects and program components (e.g. migration to new systems; scheduling installations, product research, etc.) for the purpose of delivering services in compliance with established guidelines and/or objectives.
7. Participates in a variety of planning and development activities, including district wide committees for the purpose of creating short and long range plans for programming support to the district.
8. Recommends equipment, supplies and materials for the purpose of acquiring required items and completing jobs efficiently.
9. Researches trends, products, equipment, tests, etc. for the purpose recommending procedures and/or purchases.
10. Responds to inquiries from a variety of sources (e.g. staff, administrators, outside vendors and service providers, etc.) for the purpose of providing technical assistance and support.
11. Trains other school system staff (primarily within the technology area) for the purpose of ensuring their ability to use new and/or existing operating systems and application software.
12. Troubleshoots malfunctions of network hardware and/or software applications within the districts local and wide area networks, telephones and security systems (e.g. servers, hubs, routers, network protocols, etc.) for the purpose of resolving operational issues and restoring services.
13. Manages work requests and other tasks in coordination with the computer ESP(s).
14. Prepares written materials (e.g. procedures, system level documentation, reports, etc. for the purpose of documenting computer ESP(s) activities/performance, and/or conveying work request data.
15. The usual and customary methods of performing the jobâ€™s functions require the following physical demands; occasional lifting, pushing, and/or pulling, some climbing and balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, and/or crawling, and significant fine finger dexterity.
Â· Ability to provide technical support to users.
Â· Ability to administer day-to-day operation of networks and servers.
Â· Ability to implement LAN/WAN maintenance ad management procedures.
Â· Maintains currency and ability to adapt to changes in technology.
Â· Ability to learn quickly and understand complex information without difficulty.
Â· High level of self motivation and the ability to multi-task.
Â· Ability to think ahead and anticipate problems, issues and solutions.
Â· Motivates individuals to achieve high performance.
Â· Ability to work within a defined budget.
Â· Tactful, diplomatic and works with integrity.
Â· Minimum five years of experience in a public school setting as a network technician.
Â· IT Certifications and/or other related experiences.
Â· Must have experience in server, network, workstation administration.
Â· Must have experience and/or working knowledge of firewall filtering, configuration and network security.
Â· Must have experience and/or working knowledge of backup and disaster recovery systems.
Â· Must have experience and/or working knowledge of federal and state requirements for archiving system.
Adoption Date: 6/29/2011
Job Description - Job Descriptions