BOURNE PUBLIC SCHOOLS
SPECIAL EDUCATION DEPARTMENT HEAD GRADES K-4
Reports to: Director of Student and Special Education Services
Job Goal: To assist the Director of Student and Special Education Services with the supervision of special education and the implementation of procedures, regulations, and policies of the Special Education Department.
To exercise leadership in the development of curriculum, the supervision, coordination, training, and evaluation of staff and the implementation of sound teaching practices within an assigned department of tile instructional program.
To insure that the instructional program implemented is consistent with the philosophy and objectives of the school system and the policies and regulations of the School Committee.
Supervises: Classroom instructors as they relate to their area of discipline
A. Supervision and Administration
1. Advises the Director of Student and Special Education Services (or his/her designee) concerning the needs and problems of his/her area of responsibility in a timely and constructive fashion.
2. Assists in the recruitment, screening, hiring, and assigning of department personnel.
3. Conducts department meetings and attends relevant school, district, and professional meetings as necessary.
4. Evaluates teacher performance and submits written evaluation reports with recommendations to the Director of Student and Special Education Services regarding department personnel.
5. Makes classroom visits to department personnel in accordance with schedule established by Director of Student and Special Education Services and provides follow-up consultation and training as required.
6. Assists the Superintendent when requested in arranging presentations to inform the School Committee of the instructional program.
7. Collects and reviews on a continuous basis the lesson plan books for all teachers in his/her department.
8. Assists the Director of Student and Special Education Services in interpreting grading policies, promotional policies, and the instructional program to parents and the community (e.g., Open House.
9. Assists the Director of Student and Special Education Services (or his/her designee) in the development of the master schedule as it relates to department teaching assignments and room utilization.
B. Curriculum and Instruction
1. Provides daily instruction within area of certification.
2. Establishes curriculum objectives consistent with the approved philosophy and objectives of the School District, and develops a plan for the implementation and evaluation of the achievement of these objectives (e.g. Program of Studies, Final Exam).
3. Assists and supervises teachers in the handling of day-to-day problems of instruction and acts as a resource person for teachers on curriculum and instructional issues.
4. Routinely meets with other Department Heads to promote interdisciplinary programs (e.g. Department Head Meetings).
5. Implements an ongoing program of curriculum development and evaluation.
1. Assumes responsibility for the ordering, inventory, and distribution of all department instructional material and equipment. Keeps an accurate record of all books, equipment, and other department materials and files an inventory report with the Director of Special Education Services annually (as requested).
2. Prepares an annual budget for his/her area of responsibility consistent with the Priorities/Assumptions/Constraints approved by the School Committee and the guidelines of the Superintendent.
3. Monitors all expenditures associated with assigned area(s) of responsibility.
D. Professional Development
1. Provides orientation and in-service training for department personnel o a continuous basis. Assistance in in-service training activities will be provided by the school administration.
2. Keeps informed and informs staff concerning educational innovations and trends as they relate to department programs and concerns.
1. Submits to the Director of Student and Special Education Services for school-wide and public dissemination information concerning department activities and/or particularly notable accomplishments by staff and/or students.
2. Identifies and uses available community resources to enrich program offerings within his/her area of responsibility (e.g. field trips).
1. Performs other related duties as so directed by the building Director of Student and Special Education Services (or his/her designee).
Terms of Employment
1. Department heads will work a regular teacherâ€™s year and be available as needed.
2. Additional one hour per week during the regular school year scheduled by the Director of Student and Special Education Services with sufficient notice.
3. Compensation based upon the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
4. Where possible the Director of Student and Special Education Services will recommend to the Superintendent and School Committee that consideration be given to reduce the regular teaching load of Department Heads to allow for increased time devoted to supervision and curriculum monitoring.
5. This is a one year position and will be posted annually.
Â· Three years of special education teaching experience (grades 5-12 for Secondary Department Head; grades K-4 for Elementary Department Head).
Â· Demonstrated ability to lead professional staff in activities designed to carry out School Committee policies and achieve system-wide objectives.
Evaluation: Performance will be evaluated annually by the Director of Student and Special Education Services.
Adoption Date: 1/1/1901
Job Description - Job Descriptions