|Series Job Description - Job Descriptions|
School Health Assistant
Policy # JD60
BOURNE PUBLIC SCHOOLS
SCHOOL HEALTH ASSISTANT
Reports to: School Nurses, School Principal, and
Director of Student and Special Education Services
Job Goals: To provide for the immediate needs of the students and to work under the supervision of the school nurses to see that medical aid is provided when necessary, and to see that health records are kept.
1. Provide basic first aid.
2. Dispensing of prescription medications under supervision of the school nurse.
3. Maintain health records.
4. Practice clinical skills and duties as specified by the school nurse.
5. Participate in health screening; e.g. vision, hearing, postural screenings.
6. Daily log documentation.
7. Accompany student to hospital, if necessary.
8. Maintain health rooms.
9. Contact parents or other agencies as appropriate.
10. Assist in personal daily needs.
11. Other duties as assigned by the school nurse and/or principal.
Â· High School graduate
Â· Certification as a Licenses Practical Nurse (LPN)
Â· Completion of approved course in first aid
Â· Certification I Health Care Provider CPR
Â· Interest in and an understanding of children and adolescents
Â· Respect for confidentiality of information
Â· Ability to accept and utilize nursing supervision and consultation
Â· Typing and computer skills preferred
Terms of Employment: 30 hours per week for the school year per Collective Bargaining Agreement
Evaluation: The building principal in consultation with the school nurse will annually do an evaluation of the School Health Assistant and submit it to the Director of Student and Special Education Services.
Adoption Date: 1/1/1901